-Prayer-

A couple of weeks ago two of my friends from work were moving into a new apartment. Their current lease ran out on a Thursday and they couldn’t move into their new house until the following Monday. You know where this is going, don’t you? You guessed it: let’s just stay at Nathan’s house! Elizabeth wasn’t too thrilled to have a couple of crazy bachelors in the house for a weekend, but she managed. The four of us ate supper every night together - it was kind of like a big family. The first night, Trey and Chris fixed their plates, sat down, and started eating. When Elizabeth and I sat down, I went ahead and told them I was going to say the blessing. I could tell they were a little embarrassed that they had already started eating, but they quickly changed the subject after the prayer. The second night, they managed to refrain from the pizza box until grace had been said. And by the third night, they had their hands crossed and eyes closed even before I sat down.

They finally moved into their new apartment and things got back to normal at the Cline house. A few days later I got a phone call about suppertime. It was Chris, and they were sitting in their new kitchen about to eat. He called to tell me that since they left my house, every time they sit down and get ready to eat they say a quick blessing. He put me on speakerphone and asked if I would say a prayer before they ate, just like old times. Trey admitted that when they sit down at the table it’s like they can’t start until somebody says grace. They got in the habit at my house and now if they don’t say the blessing something just seems like it’s missing. Chris said, “Nathan, I think you’re rubbing off on me.” I said, “I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not!”

It’s amazing how a little prayer can make such a big impact on someone’s life. Such a small gesture of thanks can be an excellent witness to those around you. So the next time you’re in the break room at work or in the cafe at school, take time to say a quick prayer before you eat. You never know who is watching and what effect your small act of worship can have on them.


-Spending time in the Word-

As you think about your prayer life this week, read these passages of Scripture and think about how you can improve on your communication with God.
1. What are your motives? (James 4:3)
2. When prayers are answered. (1 Samuel 1-2)
3. Pray for others. (Colossians 4:12-13)


-Hiding the Word in your heart-

Memorize these verses this week and recite them during your prayer time each day.
1. Psalm 5:3, “In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.”

2. Galatians 6:2, “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”

No comments: