-Veterans of the Faith-

When I was little, my parents used to take my brother, Stephen, and me to the South Carolina State Fair in Columbia every October. I remember one roller coaster called the "Dopple Looping." It was a roller coaster with a series of turns and dips with two back-to-back flips in the middle. I can remember the first time I rode it… I closed my eyes when the man buckled my seat belt and opened them back up when he unhooked it. The second time I rode it, I kept my eyes open, and upon descent of the first flip I knew for sure that life as I knew it was over. I was terrified! I was screaming louder than the little girl sitting behind me. However, after the third and fourth time riding the coaster, I started to like it. It has always been a staple of the fair each year that I most eagerly anticipate.

When I get a chance to go to the State Fair now, I don’t really pay much attention to the "Dopple Looping" any more. Now that I am a mature, responsible adult (ok, maybe that’s a stretch) . . . now that I am older, the ride has lost some of its appeal. It just doesn’t seem as big, fast, and exciting as it did when I was 10 years old. Now if I get on the ride, I find myself yawning, even bored during the 30-second cheap thrill. For me, the coaster lost that "wow" factor that attracts so many people to the fair rides each year.
Unfortunately, people can become bored with Christianity over time. Upon a conversion experience, a person can often feel a rush of emotions, including fear, excitement, uncertainty, and a zeal to do the work of the Kingdom. However, exposure to regular worship services, hundreds of praise songs, and daily blessings from God can de-synthesize our view of God and what Christianity really means.

Think back with me . . . do you remember the first rush you got when you saw God do something awesome in your life? Do you remember the excitement you felt when your life was turned upside down by the power and promise of the gospel? Do you remember past circumstances when you were scared and didn’t know if you were going to make it, only to see God provide in your life time and time again? As a Christian, never forget the radical influence that Jesus Christ has had on your life. Renew your commitment to Christ in order to experience those same exciting events that shaped your early Christian life. Never lose the awe and reverence for God that He so highly deserves.

-Spending time in the Word-
"If you have a Bible that’s falling apart, you’ll have a life that’s not." -- Adrian Rogers
1. As Christians, we can’t be in the middle. We either need to be on fire for God and doing His work, or stop hurting the cause of Christianity by clinging to God sometimes and to the world at other times. There is no place for lukewarm; we need to be either hot of cold. –Revelation 3:14-22.
2. Write down all of the excuses that Moses gave to God when God told him to go talk to Pharaoh. When you compile your list, see if you have ever told God some of those same excuses. God wasn’t interested in Moses’ abilities and talents. It all depended on how willing Moses was to obey. –Exodus 3:1-22

-Hiding the Word in your heart-
Memorize these verses as you continue to learn and study the Word of God daily.
1. John 14:15 - "If you love me, you will obey what I command.’"
2. Luke 11:9-10 - "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you shall find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; he who seeks, finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."

No comments: