-Caught up in the Act-

Late last month I went to go see “The Black Knight,” the latest movie in the Batman Series. The flick not only had good action, but there was a story of sorrow and controversy as well. Heath Ledger, who played “the Joker” character, died before the film had finished production. He overdosed on sleeping pills and pain medicine. Reports say that he couldn’t sleep at night because the character he was playing was so dark and menacing. Heath got into the role so much that it almost seemed like the evil from the script penetrated reality. He was consumed by the role, and it ultimately changed his life, resulting in his untimely death.




And that got me thinking . . .

What if believers read what the Bible said that followers of Christ should be, and it began to change their lives? What if a person today was so consumed with the “script” of a true believer’s biblical character traits that it began to penetrate their actual reality? What if in an attempt to become so much like the Christians of the New Testament it drove someone to the brink of submission, and then ultimately to death in Christ? This is my prayer for all of us because it isn’t until we die to ourselves that we can even really see a glimpse of what life is all about.

Probably one of the reasons for the huge interest in the current Batman offering is because Ledger’s untimely death has sparked a paparazzi style of public curiosity. Wouldn’t it be infinitely better if people were equally curious to see the changed lives of believers today who had been transformed by their faith? Then God would be glorified.

But when you’re showing people what Christ has done in your life, do me a favor… don’t charge $10 for the popcorn!

“God , help me to be consumed with your Word. Help me to get so caught up with what you have called me to do that people won’t see me, but you. Help me to die to myself daily so that I can live a life for you. Amen.”

No comments: