-Being a Dad is Awesome-



Out of all the books I’ve read, all the conferences I’ve gone to, and all the study that I have done in the past 4 months, nothing has taught me about God and his characteristics more than Leah. She can’t even talk yet (unless you count those grunts and groans) and I am already learning a lot from her. Being a dad has really opened up my eyes to a characteristic of God that is often overlooked: God the Father.

Earlier this month I was in Atlanta for a conference for a few days. It was my first time being away from home overnight without Leah since she was born. Don’t get me wrong, it was a great conference, but I was homesick a little bit. Go ahead and say it: - sissy, wimp, softie. I can take it. I couldn’t believe that after only 3 days away that I missed them so much! Yet again Leah sparks for me a connection with God.

In Genesis, when the earth was being created, the pronouns used for the creator are plural (e.g. We will create man in our image). Many scholars say this is an Old Testament reference to the trinity, with Jesus and the Holy Spirit being in community with God even before the world was created. Jesus was with God throughout the events in the Old Testament and saw the good and the bad that the world had to offer.

You see, God made a decision before creation even happened. He decided to send his Son to the earth to save it. He decided that He loved us so much that He wanted to give us a chance at life with Him forever. But in order to do this, He had to send His son out of heaven to the earth. And this trip wasn’t just going to be a long three day weekend. God sent Jesus to the earth for 33 years. He knew that Jesus would suffer hardship. God knew that He was ultimately sending His son to a painful death, to take the blame for something he didn’t do, and to be out of the presence of the Father in heaven.

As I think about that it helps me realize the power of the gospel and the love that God has for us. It helps me realize the sacrifice that Jesus endured and how much God longs for His people to have a relationship with Him.

Over the next few weeks I want to share some things with you about God and His role as a “Father.” Hopefully it will help you realize the true awe and amazement that we should have for the gospel, and be thankful for the opportunity we have to spend eternity with God as a result of His love for us.

Next blogs:
-As a dad, I would do anything to keep Leah out of harm’s way and away from danger.
-As a dad, I would do anything to keep Leah from getting picked on or treated badly.
-As a dad, I can’t figure out why I can’t keep the baby food in Leah’s mouth instead of on her clothes and on me?!

No comments: