Detox Doctrine: I'm a Christian, can I drink a beer?

Q: I'm a Christian, can I drink a beer?

A: I don't drink. I know what the Bible says about drinking.

Sometimes, those two sentences rarely go together, which creates skewed misconceptions and judgmental glares.

Even though many people will claim "it's in there somewhere," nowhere in the Bible will you find a verse that says "thou shalt not drink beer." For some people, that’s the 11th commandment, but the reality is it’s just not there. I can tell you a few things that are in Scripture about drinking. It speaks out against getting drunk and having to much to drink. It also warns against doing anything that will cause someone else to stumble (Romans 14:21), and also to live a life above reproach (1 Timothy 3:1-7).

Answer: Alcohol in moderation under the law is a freedom that people have, as long as it doesn’t become a hindrance to the Gospel or your influence in the community to appropriately represent Jesus.

No comments: