Fasting: Doing Without Thinking

We all have a checklist.  We all have a routine.  We all have things that we do instinctively, without thought, almost automatically.  When was the last time you actually had to think about what you were going to do when you get out of bed?  I don't have to ask myself, "Should I turn my alarm clock off?  Should I get in the shower?  Should I brush my teeth?"  I just do it.

If we're not careful, our spiritual lives can become a routine.  Just pray.  Just read the Bible.  Just go to church.  Just serve.  Just give.

But why?  What's behind it?  Are we missing out on the Giver because we're focused on the gift?

Fasting is a way to step back and think about the big picture, to realize your motives and think about the "why" behind the "what."  So tear up your spiritual checklist.  Break the monotony.  Insert a fast in your spiritual life to help ground you in the "why" and the "Who" instead of just focusing on the "what."

No comments: