-What Scares Me the Most-

There are a myriad of things that I am not to thrilled about: scary movies, darkness, the unknown, heights, spiders, snakes; you know, the usually phobia’s. Yet, as a pastor none of these things compare to the scariest, most dangerous thing I could ever encounter. It’s a silent killer, and most pastors that are infected with it don’t even know they have it. It rarely shows outward symptoms until it’s almost to late to do anything about it.

The thing in ministry that scares me the most is this: I could one day pastor a church that is growing and successful by all worldly measures, and yet be totally void of the presence of God.

Honestly, REVO has a great group assembled to do ministry in Winston-Salem. We have a very talented team of dynamic speakers, classically trained musicians, and cutting edge thinkers that envision doing ministry outside of the box. We have a children’s director that is focused on teaching and molding children in the safest, cleanest, and most technologically advanced setting that we can provide. By these merits alone we can attract a large number of people and create quite a buzz in the city of Winston-Salem.

So many times churches start replacing the presence of God with the presence of the masses and think that success in ministry hinges on how many lights and smoke machines they have, how loud their sound system is, how cool their venue is, and how trendy their staff’s clothes are. A church can be thriving and healthy by all outward signs, but can be so inwardly focused and self-reliant that God is nowhere to be seen.

God protect me from being a man that is so reliant on myself and my own abilities that I leave you out of the equation. Help me to realize that without the presence of your Spirit my words are meaningless, powerless, and vain. God help your church to be desperate for You.

1 comment:

TBone said...

Love it. Good honest stuff. Thanks for your transparency.