-3 Things I Hope My Daughters Tell Me at 18-

"Dad, I love you."
That means I did the parenting thing right.  I've heard some pretty brutal stories of how innocent, loving princesses turn into crazy, evil witches once they turn 12 or 13.  One dad's words to me: "You just want your daughters to survive adolescence and still love you!"


"Dad, I love Jesus."
That means I did the pastoring thing right.  It's my responsibility to teach my kids about Jesus, to show them what Jesus looks like, and to saturate their lives with this life changing message.  It's my job to pray daily for my kids that God would redeem them and do what only He can do in their life, to help them understand that Jesus loves them even more than their dad loves them.


"Dad, I love the Church."
This means I did the professional thing right.  Too many pastor's kids hate the Church when they grow up because they saw their dad allow the church to steal him away from them growing up.  If dad spends the time loving on the church that he should have spent loving on his kids, the kids will one day resent the Church for it.


What do you hope your kids will say to you one day?

No comments: