Fasting: Intense Cravings


Psalm 63:1-2, 5-6, 8:  "O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul THIRSTS for you; my flesh FAINTS for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water... My soul will be SATISFIED as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips, when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night... My soul CLINGS to you."

It never fails.  When you are fasting (whether it's from food or sleep or personal habits) the cravings get strong.  It's all you can think about.  "If I could just take one bite.  If I could just hit the snooze button.  If I could just take a break for one day."  These cravings can be pretty strong!

When was the last time you had a craving for God?  When have you last yearned for Him?  I'm talking about a "can't concentrate on any other thing, want it so bad, getting jittery just thinking about having it, can't wait until this is over so I can have it again" craving.

King David wanted God so badly that he could taste it.  His body was getting weak over it.  He said getting to God would be better than eating a big, juicy, rich, steak in the middle of a fast from meat.  He would rather sit up in bed and meditate on God throughout the night as oppose to sleeping.  Wow, now that's an intense craving!

I'm praying that our yearnings for God would be so uncontrollable that fasting would be something we desired and looked forward to in order to satisfy that holy craving for intimacy with God.

No comments: